Monday, December 23, 2013

Thoughts and perspectives

I saw this blog post and loved it so I have to share here...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cara-paiuk/the-one-thing-you-should-never-ever-say-to-a-gestational-surrogate_b_4094921.html

She is so spot on. And it's completely true. When I tell someone new that I'm going to be a gestational surrogate, the money is the first thing they mention. I truly don't understand why.

To be a surrogate it's far from easy. Not anyone can do it or even handle it. First you have to know that the baby(ies) that you are carrying are absolutely not yours. They were never yours and they won't be yours. You are carrying them so they can grow, thrive and be with their parents. Their very deserving parents.

This process is a journey. When I say journey, I mean that it's not something that happens quickly. There are a lot of steps that you have to go through. I am at the point of getting ready for my medical screening with Oregon Reproductive Medicine. This is where Brandon and I will have our testing done and where the embryo transfer will be. He will have his blood drawn to test for any STD's, diseases etc. I will undergo much more testing. I am actually super excited about it! I'm still in disbelief that I'm at this point in the process. It's finally becoming reality. Before it was a thought that I always knew I wanted to do eventually.

I hope that more people understand that it's not about the money. It's about helping two people have a family of their own. It's about giving them the gift of life, children. It's an absolute privilege to be part of this amazing journey. But like the lady in the blog post said, it's not easy. There are a lot of sacrifices that I am making. And I'm beyond happy to be doing this.

Tonight after work, I stopped by the pharmacy where the coordinator at ORM called in my prescription for birth control. I haven't been on birth control pills in YEARS so I completely forgot how to take them. I've always charted by cycles and we did natural family planning. I'm a little nervous to start them, I hope I don't become a hormonal mess haha! They are starting me on birth control to know when my cycle starts since it regulates your cycle. I will start this next month after my cycle.

Another awesome article I came across: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/11/portland-gay-couples-babies/2139463/

Time to celebrate Christmas tomorrow with my family. I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas! May you be blessed by those around you.

Surro-Mama Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment